October

Grandma was Organized

organized grandmaReflections on Grandma

This last week, I lost my grandma. She was a beautiful woman and lived ninety-four years – a very long life. As the funeral has taken place and the reality has set in that I’ll never be able to speak to her again, I find myself reflecting on her life and who she was.

The day after her death, we sat down with the funeral director to arrange the plans. After discussing some details, he said “She had arranged all these plans back in 1999. She was very organized.” My family turned and looked at me and I smiled. Grandma gave me a part of her and I realized that this week. All the details, her wishes, the songs, and arrangements had been spelled out and written down. It made our day, task, and planning super simple. I smile now because that is a gift to a family in mourning. Being organized enabled us to enjoy her and took away stress that could have filled our week.

Grandma was organized in so many other ways. She was the queen of routine. Monday was laundry day. Dinner was always prepared and on the table by 5pm. Her kitchen pantry was spotless and she knew where everything was. She always planned ahead and had reminders on her calendar and in her purse so that she’d never forget her tasks and priorities. She didn’t shop often. What she had was enough and she was content with her simple wardrobe and belongings. She emulated simplicity and organization.

Another amazing gift she gave me was teaching me how to play the piano. I learned my first notes from her at age 6.  Many lessons and years later I still play, and honored her by playing her requested songs at her funeral.  And recently, only months before she passed, she drove herself to the YMCA to meet me to swim. Grandma loved to swim and so do I.

I am blessed to see parts of her in me. These parts have shaped my life and career. Sometimes it takes losing something so precious and dear to your heart to clearly see and appreciate the wonderful impact they had on our lives.

This entry was posted in Personal Thoughts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Grandma was Organized

1. marcia furrow says:

Amber, this is so sweet, what a blessing to recognize your grandma’s legacy in s many arenas!

2. Lanie says:

This is indeed a great post. This will really help homeowners in organizing their things.

3. stacy says:

Im so sorry to hear about your grandmother. 94 is great though, and she had a very full life.

4. Amber says:

Thank you Stacy. She did live a very full life. I agree and I’m thankful 🙂

5. I’m sorry to hear about your grandma. She did live a very wonderful life and I know you love her so much.
    Connor Harley recently posted..Help with Setting up a BusinessMy Profile

6. wow, sorry for your loss. your grandma sounded awesome though. so thoughtful of her to have already taken care of funeral arrangements, i’m sure it made it much easier on your family

7. Vicki Del Boccio
    Twitter:
    says:

This is a beautiful tribute, Amber. It is a comfort to see that your grandma left a part of herself with you. Some of these details I was not aware of. Thanks for sharing them!

8. Janelle Burd says:

I am sad to hear of your Grandma’s death. Your tribute to your Grandma is very touching. You have been blessed with good genes and longevity. It is wonderful that you realize all you received from your Grandma. May Jesus give you the hugs you need now and always.

9. Jenny
    Twitter:
    says:

I really love how you have written something for your beloved grandma and will stay with you for a long time. Once when you’re old you can look back and read this again. It’ll be really nice to have something related in your reach!

May she R.I.P
    Jenny recently posted..Flower Delivery to Full Gospel Assembly (FGA) Jalan Kuchai LamaMy Profile