May

Keeping Beauty Products Out of Guilt

cosmeticsWhy is it we women get sucked into buying every hair, skin, and makeup product that looks enticing? Then we get home and don’t like it when we use it. These products are often expensive, up to $15 a bottle, and even more expensive for department store skin regimens. So we use it once or twice and then we’re stuck with it. We spent money on the product and now feel high levels of guilt about tossing brand new bottles of product.

Over my years of organizing I find this to be super common among women and they always ask me what to do… So here are some thoughts. I don’t have all the answers, but think through these concepts.

1. Break the cycle.  If you stop spending the money and buying products, you won’t be put into  a situation where “money is wasted” or guilt surfaces. I know the clearance sections at beauty product stores are tempting and every friend has a favorite product “you have to try.” I’d encourage you not to try it until you’ve used up what you have. Keep a wish list in the bathroom. Add to it the names of new creams and other products you’d like to try.
  2. Stick to the same product… for a while at least. If you like Revlon or Paul Mitchell, for example, don’t jump around trying other brands. Sometimes we second guess ourselves and our preferences. It’s okay to use the same product repeatedly.
  3. Create favorites and be loyal. I pride myself in my loyalty. I only use one brand for all my hair products and one brand for all my face cream and makeup. It makes life a lot simpler and I know how my skin and hair respond to the products so I never have to worry I won’t like the product.
  4. Swap with neighbors or girlfriends. If you’re looking to pass on instead of throw out products in your linen closet or bathroom, consider having some neighbors over or taking a bag full to work to pass onto ladies in your office. Women go wild getting almost new products that they’d like to try. I used to be a part of a Monday night Pilates group, and we’d occasionally bring things from our home that we really didn’t want anymore for others to try. Get creative with the groups of friends in your life and email the group to propose the idea.
  5. Contact local shelters. Call your local shelter or church outreach group to see if they’d take new or slightly used products.
  6. Be mindful of a product’s shelf life. Before you start passing your products onto others, think about when you bought it. If you really can’t remember, it might not be worth passing on. Be selective and be smart. Old make-up isn’t as safe as something like bars of soap. Anything with scent or perfume does turn. Take time to smell products if it helps you make decisions whether to toss or keep.

Are there any cosmetics in your bathroom that you’re not using? How long have you had them? What are you going to do with them?

Photo © Saksoni / depositphotos

This entry was posted in Bathrooms and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Keeping Beauty Products Out of Guilt

1. Simon says:

Thank you for this useful article.

2. Amber says:

You are very welcome.

3. sunnyson548 says:

Beauty is the secret of their own strength. Most of the females love to choose these wide various products with different formula. Imagine there is no general or cooperated store with out these beauty products. Most of the business people are targeting their promotional activity with these products.

4. Brittney says:

I am guilty of buying more products when I already have one at home that offers the same benefits. I hear about all the great things another product has to offer and I feel as if it will do some kind of miracle for me… Sometimes I won’t even try it for weeks. Thanks for the advice and tips. Great post 🙂

5. karen says:

I believe that before we blame the product we should check the type of skin we have and see if is right one, and follow the product proper instructions. Thank you, very useful tips.

6. Levon
    Twitter:
    says:

maybe one day we can make skin specific products meaning it will be a company that can take a sample of our skin and make a product that’s perfect for us.

7. Aurident says:

I have an oily skin and I have tried tons of different products, but I end up having acne and pimples. I like buying products that will stop my oily skin, but they are useless, now I regret spending money on those this.

8. Helena says:

Healthy reading! Thanks 🙂

9. Alysha says:

Not all natural beauty care products are the same so reading the labels is essential to know what type of product you are buying. There are also alternatives to the chemically induced makeup products. Natural beauty products are made from minerals without the addition of synthetic materials or fragrances and are much better for skin than mainstream beauty products. These products use plant extracts such as frankincense and fenugreek that have for centuries been used in delaying the signs of ageing. These products deliver a high dose of age defying vitamins, vital phytonutrients, and powerful anti-oxidants. If you are a chemically sensitive person then opting for natural beauty products could be the answer for you. By the way thanks for sharing.
    Alysha recently posted..What You Should Know When You Get Botox in Stuart, FlMy Profile

10. Tracy says:

Well I think the guilt is all on us. Just check out a any woman’s “inventory” of beauty products and you’ll be astounded at the amalgam. women don’t really focus on what they’re trying to work on and just keep piling products looking for results fast

11. Lisa Best says:

Every beauty product doesn’t suit you…so it is really important to test that product before applying…i think every woman should follow your tips to be beautiful forever
    Lisa Best recently posted..Dermaperfect Trial OfferMy Profile

12. Barbara says:

That is really a great suggestion and idea! I have wasted a lot of cosmetics like that just because I wanted to try new products. I always get influenced by my friends who look more beautiful than me and so in an attempt to look better I keep trying their things. But nw I would rather share the stuff or give it out to some body in need.

13. Jenny says:

Ohhh this made me laugh! I read it as I was staring at my jam-packed full beauty cabinet, most of which isn’t even open. I should take your advice and calm down 🙂

14. I would definitely start breaking the cycle. Some of these skin products are unnecessary, so I would feel less guilty if I follow your tips! Thank you for this!

15. Lindsey says:

I keep stuff out of guilt all the time especially if it were expensive but I won’t use it if it’s expired. I just look at it until I finally decide it’s taking up too much room and I get rid of it.

16. Toronto says:

If I find a product that I like I generally stick to it. Though at times my friends will recommend some product I will only try them if the response to these products is overwhelmingly positive.

17. Lydia says:

18. Maxbond says:

The tips which are provided by you are just amazing. By following all this things I am sure that there is a no space for guilt about beauty products.But nowadays people changing their products and they don’t want to be stuck on one product for a long time.

19. That is really a great suggestion and idea!i like the most that Create favorites and be loyal…useful tips..

20. women are definately suckers for beauty products 🙂

21. Lee Dewalt says:

Hello there…First of all I just want to say that I am a big fan of your blog and yeah of course of your post too. Well coming to this post, I am totally agree what you have mention in your post. Thank you so much for this post

22. very good advice especially about being aware of the shelf life of the make up. Recommendations are to get new every three months, correct?

23. Amber says:

Yes depending on the type of makeup or if it has been opened and used or not.

24. Apu Mridha says:

Thanks for sharing such an amazing and informative post. Really enjoyed reading it . 🙂