November

13 Tips for Organizing Your Refrigerator

1. organized refrigeratorEither before or after going grocery shopping, take time to read expiration dates and throw stuff out to make room for the new food. If you do it beforehand, you’ll also have a better idea what to buy.
  2. Do not put opened cans of food or uncovered plates/bowls of food in the refrigerator. That’s an easy cause for smells. And no, a pizza box doesn’t count as a container.  Always transfer it to a storage container or Ziploc bag.
  3. A opened box of baking soda in the refrig can help with smells and unwanted odors.
  4. Have a designated shelf for leftovers and clear it off every week if you haven’t eaten them up. A good night to do this would be the night before the weekly garbage pick-up.
  5. First go shopping in your refrig, then go shopping at the grocery store. See what you have and write down the extra things you’ll need to create a complete meal. That way, you’re eating up what you have and not overbuying on food.
  6. Try to use clear, square Tupperware containers.  It’s easiest to see what you have and they save space by stacking easily. Labeling the leftovers with a date is always great if you can get into the habit of it. Masking tape and a black marker will do, unless you’d like to buy a label maker.
  7. Put like items together: create a drink section, a meat/cheese drawer or container and a fruit/ veggie drawer, condiments on one shelf and sauces/dressings/ jellies on another.
  8. Something moms should always teach their sons: Never thaw frozen meat and later decide to refreeze it. You have to first cook it, then refreeze it. You’ll get sick if you refreeze it without cooking it.
  9. If you’re going to keep extra ketchup or soy sauce packets, put them in a small container in the refrig so they don’t land all over the refrig or break open.
  10. I still think bleach and hot water does the best job in cleaning a smelly, grimy refrig. Just keep scrubbing, the shelves will come clean. Don’t forget the door handles. They’re full of germs.
  11. Washing, cutting, and placing veggies in Ziploc bags after grocery shopping keeps the drawers clean and gives you easy access to grabbing healthy foods to snack on.
  12. In freezers, throw out anything that’s covered in a thick layer of frost and anything that is more than 6 months old. If you haven’t eaten it by now, you’re not going to.
  13. Rotate food in the freezer, putting the new stuff in the back and bringing the old stuff forward to eat it first.

When’s the last time you cleaned out your fridge?

This entry was posted in Kitchens/Pantries and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 13 Tips for Organizing Your Refrigerator

1. Janet Barclay
    Twitter:
    says:

To #12 I would add: label stuff when you put it in the freezer so you have no surprises. One time we took out what we thought was one type of leftover, only to discover it was something else altogether. Fortunately, it still worked for the meal we had in mind!

2. Jone says:

REFRIGERATOR MANAGEMENT

Great Article..
    Never thought would get such an article.
    But, believe me its going to help a lot..
    We all basically need education on it, and you have given that for free..
    Great..
    Loved it..

3. Sini says:

OMG..
    The Best Ever Tis I have got from Someone.. This is incredible..
    Loved it.. Soooooo Much….

4. jaku says:

This is the second time I had seen this blog.
    And I am commenting this time..
    First time after I saw this Blog.. I was so eager to try it out, that i forgot commenting..
    And Now I have finally set up my refrigerator in the way you have said..
    Now the deed is done.
    And I am back commenting over here..
    Thank You So Much For the great Help you have done..
    You may not know the great help you did to me..
    Thanks Again..

5. Marine says:

You won’t believe I feel like jumping on seeing your post..
    Last day, had a great fight with my wife, as she believes that I am the one who is responsible for making the refrigerator hell..
    But today after reading your post, and thus knowing the ways, I would soon, start arranging things in our refrigerator, and would make her surprise..
    Though the whole credit would go to you.. Thank You

6. Richard says:

Just completed organizing my refrigerator, 5 mins before..
    And I am here for commenting.

The idea is too good, that I couldn’t stopped myself for commenting.
    I really appreciate the pain you took to find out all the measures, and then to write it over net..

You won’t believe how much helpful it was, for we bachelors, most of the time things gets messed up, and you are helping us a lot.
    One request, if yo can give some tips on organizing my bedroom, I would be more than happy..
    Please…

7. Amber says:

Ok Richard, tips for the bedroom. I’ll work on it. Thank you for your comment! Good luck to you and happy organizing!

8. Vivian Janes says:

Great tips on refrigerator organization!! Many thanks

9. Monia says:

The idea of a shelf for leftovers is sensational, in my life that I fell in such a simple way to organize food 🙂

10. My wife and I just bought a brand new refrigerator, and we have more space than we know what to do with it. I am afraid that it’s going to get very cluttered very quickly. I’m glad that I was able to find these tips though. We’re going to have to be very strict about putting like items together like you said.

11. its very important to manage your refrigerator.you suggest very good ideas..very thanx for this sharing.

12. Grocery online
    Twitter:
    says:

Great tips you shared , we need maintain refrigerator clean and need to check the expire dates before shopping..

13. I like the part on ziplock bag and the tupperware containers too, it keeps the item clean and organize. Will definitely apply this tips you share in this post to my restaurant! Thanks for the great tip!

14. You can’t beat having your life and refrigerator organised.

15. en.huari says:

These are really great tips. I try to keep my fridge organized at all times. There was a time when I routinely found mystery fungus covered food in my fridge because it got pushed to the back for so long.

16. Supermart says:

Best tips on Refrigerator ever. Thanks admin for the info.