March

Picking up the pieces after remodeling

painting suppliesDirt, dust, mess, chaos… accurately describes any home after construction. Getting everything back in order and organized afterwards is the challenge. After such a lengthy process, it’s easy to give up by the time clean-up time comes. Just wanting your house back to normal is common.

1. Collect leftover tools, caulk, and paint in one spot.

2. Take the necessary number of trips out to the garage or down to the tool room or basement and drop it all off. Getting it out of your prime living space will be a great relief.

3. File all the instruction manuals, warranties, receipts, and general contractor correspondence in one spot in the filing cabinet. If there are a few things left undone, just keep a list and refer to the file when necessary. Storing and filing a house project under that project name is sometimes easier than separating paper amongst existing files.

4. Label paint cans by room or space. This will prove invaluable later on when you’re doing touch-ups.

5. With a new space brings the implementation of new systems in the space. Think outside the box and consider what would make life easier on a daily basis. Ask yourself “what would be really helpful to have or not have?” and think about how you can bring the answer to fruition.

Think about your last remodeling project. What was most disruptive for you and your family? What one thing could you do differently to make things easier next time?

Photo ©iStockphoto.com / adventtr

This entry was posted in General Organizing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Picking up the pieces after remodeling

1. Luke Taylor says:

After home construction works places gets messed up with dirt’s and other stuffs. Right now my home renovation job is progressing and no doubt after finishing I’ve deal with lots of dust’s. I’ll follow mentioned tips to keep up with challenge. Thanks for effective tips. 🙂
    Luke Taylor recently posted..Xmas Party “Skirmish with The Pest Company”My Profile

2. Awesome post !!! Thanks for spending the time to discuss this..Thanks for sharing this post…

3. One note from last remodeling job in the home…make sure to put up a tarp in the doorway of the room you are working on. You would be surprised by how much dust goes out into the hallway as well as how strong some of the paint smells can be.

4. Greg Johnson says:

Good tips all! I certainly never remember to label the paint cans. We all need a little help with organizing projects.

5. Diane says:

This is all true. Starting the renovation is quite easy as well as during the renovation but the hardest part of it is the cleaning part after the renovation. There are dirt and dusts everywhere. You tips is quite helpful. We really need to organize things in order for us to be effective in the after care. Thank you.

6. Don says:

Amber, I’ve been reading your blog recently and your posts have been very useful and practical. Thanks! I agree, cleaning up is the most tedious job after remodelling. Before you could return to your normal lives you have to go through all the cleaning, reorganizing, rearranging!

7. Ashton says:

I am an artist on my own and I love doing remodeling. I found your blog really amazing. I did kitchen remodeling before new year and I hope I was able to read your blog before I did it. I could have done more.

8. Contractors are also great help in narrowing the range of materials to be used and in deciding on minute details like whether you should have suspended ceiling panels for the project. Doing this will surely help you save a great deal of money.

9. Mat Macleod says:

I think a great thing about clean up is just trying to have the right amount for the job. If you have lots of left over paint or 2x4s then it makes clean up much more difficult than it needs to be.

10. Thanks for sharing this post. It’s a great feeling when you have finally remodeled your house, but the after care is another big challenge, which I totally agree! It is so good to have a helping hand to assist you to get everything back in order. Thanks again and advance happy new year!

11. Preparing for a remodeling project is a lot like preparing to buy a car. You may know the room and style you want, but the options you choose may drive the price higher than you can reasonably afford. But there are ways to stretch the remodeling budget and end up with stylish results within budget.

12. Taking good care of your home is a priority.  A home, for most people, is a lifetime investment.  You want it always to be solid and in good repair.  It has value.  Keeping it well maintained is necessary not just so you can live in comfort, but also in case you decide to sell it.  Well maintained homes sell much faster than those that are in need of repair.  The other consideration is that you may want to leave the home for your children.  We want our children to have the best and leaving them the family home in good condition will be a blessing for them.

13. Cleaning is definitely the hardest part. And a “checklist” of the things to do might help you save time and effort. Thanks for sharing!

14. Everything seems so messy after remodelling our home, and I just don’t know where to start. But then I managed it by picking up the tools that I’ve used and put them in a place where I can easily find them just in case I will need them again. Then after that, all those dirt and garbage should go. That’s how I finished my cleaning stage.